T3: Front VW emblem

I finally got around to replacing the front VW emblem on our '71
Squareback yesterday.  I had bought a new replacement last year, but
also had an original one on the spare '71 Square we picked up last month.

Diane decided to go with the original one so I put that one on.  Now,
there is a difference between the two.  The new (repro) just has a flat
surface, but the original one has a groove all the way around the outer
circle and a very short groove between the base of the 'V' and top middle of
the 'W'.  It appears these grooves were painted black.  Is that correct?

Thanks
Dave Burden
(Woodstock, GA)

'85 VW Jetta diesel