T3: Re: fender foam rubber

CharlieW=> Can anyone tell me the purpose of the foam rubber thing up in
=> the corner of my front fender?

Congratulations, you have a rare factory option, a genuine VW trash bag!

OK, OK, these little bags of scrap upholstery (mostly vinyl and seat
foam) were stuffed into fender tops as sound deadeners. I was as
surprised as you were to find them, also that after 30 years there was
only a slight dusting of rustiness on them. All I did was whack the dust
off and put them back where I found them. I'd say if they're holding
enough moisture to promote actual rust, you have a leak problem that
needs addressing.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 KGhia 1600