T3: Re: i think i'm fu@ked.......

You're just temporarily SOL.   Put the rear up on jack stands, block
the wheels and roll under there with a screwdriver.  There's a
odd-shaped cover right ahead of the tranny.  Three screws and you're
in, be prepared to catch the shift coupler set screw.  I had this
happen to me, left me in third gear 30 miles from home.  I'm afraid it
didn't do the clutch any good slipping it in city traffic.  I replaced
the aftermarket shift coupler with  a genuine VW part, has never
happened again.  Those set screws are supposed to be wired into
position, but the coupler metal was soft enough that the threads
stretched and let the screwscrew loose.  Don't forget the safety wire.
Could be worse, you could have been left in neutral.