T3: Bodywork

Hi,

I've just got a 73 Fastback and have decided to sort out some rust that is
froming on the lhs sill. I am a complete novice when it comes to doing
bodywork so here are a couple of questions

When I've got the sill down to bare metal, what do I do to the dark pitted
areas where the rust was?
Do I just paint over it, or treat it with something as I don't want the rust
to return soon after doing the job.

Thanx in advance

Damian