T3: Did I do the right thing?

Yesterday a fellow called me because he had heard that I was a VW enthusiast.
Out in his barn, he said, he had a funny looking little car which, according
to the owner's manual, was a VW Type 34.  His grandad had bought the car new,
had driven it fewer than 3,000 miles, and had stored it in the barn, where
it has remained, covered and dry, for over 30 years.  The caller stated that
he wanted to clear out his barn, and he would sell the car to me for $100 if
I wanted it.

I thanked him, but said I wasn't interested.  After all, I explained, the car
was very, very old...and finding parts for it would be difficult.

Wanting to be helpful, however, I suggested a way that he could dispose of the VW.

This morning he called back to thank me.  He said that, following my advice, he
had hauled the car into an auto wrecking yard where the owner gave him
$25 and promptly rolled the vehicle into the crusher.

Now I am beginning to wonder...did I do the right thing?

Phil
dillard@suu.edu

April 1, 1998

"Before drawing boards were invented, what did people go back to?"