Re: Carbs and venturis

Nic and Deb wrote...

>I forgot to mention in my original Email I do not have an enclosed
>engine bay so used tall T1 manifolds, originally I used T3 Webber /
>Dellorto manifolds which were awfull for working on the engine,( you had
>to remove carb and manifolds to change the plugs).
>
>Using the Solexs would be a way of keeping the system simple and easy to
>service.
>I beleive the Formulae Vee racers removed the venturis on there carbs to
>increase the flow rate. I'm not sure if this is such a good idea on a
>road car, If the carb body still has a good venturi effect then it
>should be OK, but a large venturi effect is important for good
>driveability.

I belive that originally there were larger venturi available for the
solexes.  Stock is 23.5mm.  I belive the venturi effect creates turbulence
which helps vaporise the fuel better.  I think the only other alternative
is "Baby Dells" which can be fitted without major surgery.

Regards,
Steve Farmer

Heads Together Systems Pty Ltd
PO Box 2103 Dee Why, NSW, 2099
Sydney, Australia

1970 Type 3 Squareback (Driving)
1972 Type 3 Squareback (Restoring)

Net: hts@hts.com.au
Tel: 612 9982 6767
Fax: 612 9981 3081
Visit our Web Site at http://www.hts.com.au/VW.html

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open.