Re: Winter Project *<:-]

Theo, the only advice I can think of (being the paranoid rebuilder of 2
stock engines) is READ UP ON IT!  Before I even touched a wrench, I had
read through the procedure in John Muir's Idiot Manual,  Tom Wilson's
"how to rebuild your air-cooled VW engine", The Robert Bentley Shop
manual for the model in question, and Hot VW's "All about VW Performance
Engines".  Head full of new information, I tackled the job with
confidence and good references at hand.  Of course, I learned even more
by actually doing the work myself than I could by just reading.  I would
recommend that you just work slowly and carefully and double check
things before you continue.  If it's a wintertime project, you can take
the time to ensure that it's right, rather than having to rush and
possibly make an expensive mistake (like starting your engine without
oil - really happened to a buddy of mine, we were watching the oil
pressure guage for about 15 seconds with no pressure before it hit us
and we shut it off.  :-P Duh!)  Have fun, and don't forget to add the
oil,

Jake "man, you should have seen the look on Paul's face" Kooser
'71 Squareback (the little girl)
'66 type 1 roadster (the project)