Re: Heads and Pistons and Cylinders

DO NOT GO GEX!  I have heard so many horror stories about GEX motors and
their shoddy service I would avoid them like the plague.  Buy new heads,
get them from Gene Berg Enterprises.  Split the case, and don't think
twice, either.  One of the easiest and cheapest ways to keep an air
cooled motor running forever is to replace the bearings and rings every
30K-40K miles.  A little tedious, sometimes, but I have a buddy who does
this religiously, and his 150K mile type2 crew cab still runs like a bat
out of hell (for a type2).  Also, DO NOT buy flycut stock heads.  People
flycut heads to level a warped head (bad news), or increase compression.
To lower compression back to something reasonable, you would need head
spacers (another bad idea).  If you want to read some real good,
informative, honest info on the VW motor, call Gene Berg Ent. at
714-998-7500 and ask for a catalog and their book of tech articles.  You
will not be sorry, I promise.

Kenik Hassel
71 fastback