Re: How can I run on unleaded (now with aviation content!)

> Piston engine airplanes have complete engine management systems.  Which
>  control manifold pressure, ignition timing(yes you can advance and
>  retard from the cockpit),fuel mixture(yes you can lean or richen your
>  fuel and air) etc.etc..  It has dual magnetos and a host of other
>  devices for safety and engine cooling equipment

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the anti-avgas crowd wins but I'm still
gonna mix the avgas/autogas in my vws. One thing though, you are right about
the adjustments made from the cockpit like fuel mixture and manifold pressure
(mp can only be adjusted in a controlable pitch prop though, you probably
know that) and the angle of the prop(s) but I've never heard of adjustable
timing from the cockpit. Aircraft do have dual magnetos, like you said, for
better performance but mainly for safety, but timing is set statically by a
mechanic, usually at annuals. In what aircraft have you seen the adj timing ?
All these ajustable controls from the cockpit make flying sound difficult
don't they ?? Maybe I'm just used to it. I'll just stuff scrap the 1500 and
stuff an IO-520 into the engine compartment, that'd be a kick !  ;-)

kevin chapman
'63 *ground bound* notch