Re[2]: How can I run on unlead -- how could you not?

Peter and others,
I read in the newsgroup (rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled) that very early VWs
used iron heads.  Here's a direct quote from the FAQs from the NG:

5.) Do I need to use a lead additive/lead substitute in my VW?

Volkswagen stated that all of their heads from about 1966 on have been
made with hardened valves, seats, and valve guides.  Therefore lead
additive/substitute is not needed.  If your heads have been rebuilt,
then the machinist probably used the good stuff.  Silicon-bronze valve
guides are the good ones if that helps.

Should stainless-steel valves be used?  Hmm, I don't know.  I've *heard*
that they are 'softer' and will require more valve adjustments but I will
neither confirm or deny this.  My guess would be to stay stock or talk with
a couple of professional engine builders, preferably the ones who build
race engines as they tend to know more about the various components and
materials.
     Toby Erkson, air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 1.8L