Re: Type3 ID problems

> Now the ID problem.
>
> Engine No' - 0597069
>
> Chassis No'- 3632070605
>
> Body No'   - B2586
>
> I was told when I purchased these items they were as follows,
>
> Original car for Body and Engine  '63
>
> Chassis was a SquareBack Auto  '73
>
> I have information supposedly on all manufacture dates and
> numbers from the
> Greg Merritt Type 3 mail group but can not put a date to the
> original car ie
> body in  particular or the engine.
>
> Another thing we communicated about was the two tone colours of
> the car. I
> scraped paint of the white area of the door (it needs a new paint job
> anyway) and there was no ruby red under it!
>
> This car is supposed to be an 'N' model 316, single side draft carb.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Greg Lyons

Sorry, I can¥t help you with the body numbers but if anyone is
interested in the chassis no. system here it is.
Up to modelyear ¥65 VW used just ongoing numbers.
Sep.61 to Aug.62 up to 66739
Sep.62 to Aug.63 up to 221974
Sep.63 to Aug.64 up to 483592
For ¥65 modelyear VW changed to a 9 digit system. The first two
digits tell the bodystyle: 31 = Notch, 34 = Ghia, 36 = Square
The third number is the model year e.g. 5 for ¥65. The rest
(6 digits) is the ongoing chassis no.
Sep.64 to Aug.65 up to 315 220883.
It is unknown to me how the ongoing no. was split between the body
styles.
In Aug.65 the fastback was introduced and was supposed to replace
the notch. So the fastbacks also have "31" as their first two digits.
Sep.65 to Aug.66 up to 316 500000.
Due to customer demand the notch was reintroduced and there are three
versions now (plus the Ghia). Notch and Fastback have "31" as
identification. There is no way to tell wether a chassis belongs to
a notch or a fastback.
Sep.66 to Aug.67 up to 317 500000
Sep.67 to Aug.68 up to 318 500000
sep.68 to aug.69 up to 319 500000
To seperate the 60s from the 70s an additional "2" was introduced
behind the modelyear.
Sep.69 to Aug.70 up to 310 2 500000
Sep.70 to Aug.71 up to 311 2 500000
Sep.71 to Aug.72 up to 312 2 500000
Sep.72 to ??? 73 up to 313 2 500000.

Having this in mind you can always tell at the first check wether
the car still has its original chassis or wether it has been replaced.
Heiko
¥68 Notch, ¥70 Fast, ¥71 Fast