Re: need fenders

Auszug der Nachricht von
Jake Kooser <jake_k@bellsouth.net><br>, Absendedatum Tue, 16 Sep 1997 00:53:47 -0400

>      Hi everyone, I don't know if you noticed, but I've been
> gone for 3
> weeks.  I had a 3 day job that became a 27 day job without any
> warning.
> Anyhoo, upon my return, I found out that the moving company has
> decided
> that they aren't going to pay for the damage they caused to my
> squareback when they moved it back in June (nice speedy response
> time).
> I talked to the guy at the body shop and have decided to just get the
> whole car painted.  The main problem is, my front fenders are badly
> rusted at the backs and I need a left rear fender if possible.  If
> anyone has a set, I'd like to talk pricing.  It will cost about
> have them repaired, and I think I may be able to replace them cheaper
> than that.  Also, who had the lowdown on those window scrapers from
> Canada?  I need a set of them, too.
>      I'll keep this short, anyone who wants more info on where I
> was can
> e-mail me directly (quick brief - transatlantic crossing with SS
> Norway,
> picked up some old magazines with VW articles from the fifties
> and a new
> Beetle history book in the UK).
>
> Jake Kooser
> '71 Squareback (gonna be a lot of pieces after this week at the body
> shop)
> '66 Type 1 roadster (been a lot of pieces for too long)

Front fenders have become a real problem.
I know one guy who repairs them. Especially when they are rusted only
at the rear end and not so much around the lamp.
The back side is spotweldet with only 3 or 4 points. This man drills
them open bends up the foldet metal and takes the backside off. This
way you have easy access to the sheet metal a) on the outside fender
b) on the backside. You can repair them seperately and put them
together again afterwards.
I haven¥t tried it myself but I have seen his results. They look
like new. Some expierience with welding and body work would help
though.
Heiko
¥68 Notch, 70 Fast, ¥71 Fast