SCUBA diving in a Squareback.

T3,

You know your Type III is rusting when: you are stopped by the police and
they ask for a valid international open water diving license, not the land
based version.  Hello!

Summer ended here in Finland and suddenly it started to rain like ... well,
perhaps Noah has a better form of transportation.  With the rain, came
floods of water inside my Square.  The spiders were body surfing on the
waves every time I turned sharply enough.  So today, after letting Urs dry
out over the weekend, it was time take a look.  Here is what we found:
rusted out heater channels on both sides, plus a large hole which was
covered by undercoating on the back, inside of one fender.  Not good.  I
was tempted to inhale nitrous oxide through the intake manifold of one of
our customer's drag Beetle ...

Yeah, well I spent the morning drinking coffee and cutting out the rust on
the passenger side and the rest of the day in the men's room and then
welding in new pieces of sheet metal.  I managed to vacuum out about 2
kilograms of rot and cut out approximately 45 cm of the passenger side
heater channel.  It had actually rusted itself open under the rear fender.
This was simply (not) welded shut on both sides.  Now that I have ground
down the welds and primed them, I will do the cut open the driver's side
near the heater outlet and replace the sheet metal (it is rusted mush -
there was only undercoating and paint underneath the carpet).  That should
do it.

The heat output is already improved on the side which has been fixed.  I
hope the work to the driver's side will also make some improvements.  Then
all it will take is another new carpet set for task completition.

I suppose there is a lesson here (somewhere?).  Just because you can't see
it, doesn't mean that the rot isn't there.  Check out your hard-to-see
areas ; you never know what you might find under there.  The wet smell of
mold is a pretty good sign of problems.  Just get out the plasma torch and
cut it out!

OK, enough said.  No one needs to feel sorry for me - just find me a late
model Squareback from a desert somewhere!

Cheers.

-- Patrick
1963 Beetle
1967 Submersible Squareback