Re: Towing things with a Squareback -Reply

RJ Latherow wrote:

> I was just about to ask that question- or something similar.
> Where would a
> hitch attach to on the type 3?  Where do those factory ones go?
> Weld or
> bolt?  I'm buying a tiny Hobie cat as an accessory for my square.....
>
> -rj
> -71 square
> 68 fastishkinda
> 63 notchalmost

There were a number of type 3 towing hooks available. I assume
in the US the legal requirements are much different to the ones
here in Germany. I have a list of 23 different models. They are
from *ORIS* (7), *PEKA* (5), or *WESTFALIA* (11). 14 of them are
for all modelyears, 3 are for Ghias only.
The weight that you are allowed to tow is 800 Kg (ca. 1600lbs).
4 hooks are allowed for 1000 Kg (2000lbs).
I donĄt think it is a problem to tow these weights.

The fixing of the tow hooks can be done in two ways (again
speaking for Germany or Europe)
One is by using the existing holes for the bumnper fixing but
extending the bracket so that you have three holes in a row (welding
necessary) There  is no additional fixing required.
Second way is without welding. Using the again the two existing
holes but then an additional fixing in the centre of the car.
Two screws go through the rear wall underneath the air channel.
They bolt onto a right-angled bar of metal (ca. 2mm thick).
This again has 4 screws wich go up through the air channel and
find another metal bar (flat) inside the air channel.
Being secured in this way 1000 kg are no problem.
In all cases there is a big tube-bar inside the bumper of wich the
hook itself (ball) comes off. I donĄt think there is welding to
the bumper required because that would damange the chrome. Also
what would be the sense anyway???
The weight to be added to the vehicle weight would be only the
weight that actually rests on the tow-ball (in Germany limited
to 50Kg (100lbs)).
Heiko
Ą68 Notch, Ą70 Fastback, Ą71 Fastback