Disturbing rattle from the intake fan?

Hello.  I know someone just talked about this recently but I dumped the
messages :-(

At idle, I hear a "rattle" coming from my engine.  It seems to vary with rpms
and will disappear as rpms approach 1500.  It will reoccur when I push in the
clutch to downshift, i.e. as the engine drops to idle.  It goes away, at idle,
once the car warms up completely.

At first, I thought I was getting paranoid about the "sucking" sound from the
carbs, because it sounds like a louder version of that sound.

I checked all the bolts on the fan shrouds, both aluminum and metal (shrouds),
and they are all tight.

Just to make sure it wasn't coming from the generator, I removed the fan belt -
the sound remained.

Any tips?  Could it be the intake fan rubbing against the inner fan shroud?  If
so, how is that fixed?  Spacers below the fan?

Just for further info, I have a '65 Squareback S with a bone stock '66 1600cc
with the exception of a 009 dizzy.  I have seen no effect on performance or
driveability.

Thanks,
Everett Barnes         ebus@ebus.simplenet.com
'65 Squareback(driver) The Type II and III Experience
'55 Kombi    (project) http://ebus.simplenet.com/Volkswagen