Re: What are the rules on getting your car smogged in California?

Patnaik wrote:

> I'm on the verge of purchasing a '66 Fastback and it is proving difficult to smog.
>
> Does anyone know what the rules are in California for getting your car
> registered?
>
> Jordi
> jordi@colordesk.com

See the October 1997 issue of Hot VWs. They deal with this very issue in
great detail. Basically, 65-67 VWs must have an air cleaner, a PCV valve
and pass the test for idle tailpipe emissions. Aftermarket parts are
okay, and you don't have to have the original case. However, some smog
testing facilities may be unfamiliar with this exemption for VWs (most
water-cooled cars of this vintage have more stringent requirements).
More info, see Hot VW or call the California Air Resurces Board at
800-242-4450.
-- Bob Couse-Baker
   '64 Notch (inert)
   '72 Square