Re: Type III Automatic

Auszug der Nachricht von
drako@usa.net<br>, Absendedatum Tue, 09 Sep 1997 09:34:32

> I am relativly new to the world of type threes so I have a question.
> How rare is the automatic transaxle in a type three? and if I needed
> a new one (I dont i just want future referance) how much could i look
> forward to spending for a new one?How many of you type three owners
> have automatics?
>
> "Drako"
> 71 square
> 57 bug
> 66 bug
> finally got rid of the 73 bug

I would be interested in the figures too.
I have sensed that today the percentage of Automatic Type 3s is much
higher than, say 25 years ago. (Well, I wasn„t interested in Type 3s
at that time, more in *how to ride my three wheel bike*).
I think automatic Type 3s have more survived because they were driven
by older poeple. The A/T at least in Germany had a reputation of
being for slow drivers, maybe older people who cannot cope with the
shifting anymore.......
So as a result of that, the A/T Type 3s had been taken more care of.
For example: My „70 Fastback was bought by a 67 year old man in „71
from a VW worker. He sold the car to me in „96 (at the age of 92!!!).
He decided that he can„t handle the traffic any more, although he
actually stopped driving 2 years before.
Taking my Type 3s into account, I have one A/T and two M/T so it is
around 30% A/T ....or so... :)
Heiko
„68 Notch, „70 Fastback, „71 Fastback