Re: Microfiche for trade

Theo & Lora Bryant wrote:

> Hi there Martin!
>    I don't have a fiche to trade but a question:  What good would a
> microfiche do for me?  Is this the kind of thing you might take to a
> dealership?  I ask because I saw one for sale at a swap meet/craft show/
> country-shindig kind of thing.  I passed on it because it was a T-2.
> Thanks for  your indulgence.
> Theo B.
> '70 fastback
>
> ----------
> > From: Martin Peitz <peitz@HiWAAY.net>
> > To: type-3@umich.edu
> > Subject: Microfiche for trade
> > Date: Sunday, September 07, 1997 10:23 PM
> >
> > I have a type III microfiche, printed in 2-1982 and in german (has all
> > the dual carburator, Notchback n stuff) and want to trade it for a US
> > type III fiche of similar vintage.
> > Martin
If you have the Microfiches and a reader (you can get them here and
there) you can look up your own part numbers for better ordering, better
identification of what you need and can interchange. It tells you for
example which pressure sensor will go with your car, so you pick the
right one from the junkyard. The number on your old part might not be
right or was superseded.
Because I bring my partnumbers directly to my VW dealer I can even order
over the phone and get the wholesale price (~25% off), because looking
up numbers is a lot of work for the dealer (also they are really not
very knowledgeable and make a lot of mistakes).
I can't imagine owning a car without my own partscatalog/mircofiche.
For the type III I have the book (from 1973) and the fiche (only in
german so far). For all the other aircooled cars (incl. 914)and some
others (K70, Vanagon) I also have both.
Without good reference material you'll never really know/understand your
car. The questions on this list sometimes reflect this (sorry folks:)).
Martin