Re: Correct Upholstery Question

On  7 Sep 97, progeny wrote:

> Hey Everyone :)
>
>  I've got a question about my 66 Sunroof Square...The front seats
>  are
> vinyl...ribbed horizontally...but the back seat is vinyl on the
> sides and back, but the seat bottom and backrest are cloth...is this
> right?? I know a good bit about my car's history...the man I bought
> it from was the second owner and her said he never changed it...he
> bought it from a shop that bought it from the first owner but when
> he found it, all the interior was out of it and sitting on the
> roof...there was no carpet in it either, the whole inside was gutted
> and sitting on the roof.  All the interior seems correct, but the
> cloth back seat throws me off...is it right?? ...or has it been
> re-upolstered along the way??  My neighbor is an upholsterer and is
> going to re-do my seats very reasonably, but I want to be able to
> tell him what to put on them :) thanks:)

No way of telling at this point which was original.  Unless someone
who really knows this stuff can look at it and tell you that part of
it is aftermarket.  Since ALL the pieces are apparently old, it seems
likely that you ended up with a composite of two cars.  Both cloth
and vinyl were available as OE.

My guess would be that the pieces in the majority would be the
originals.  The fronts being ribbed horizontally sounds wierd,
however.  On all the cars I have delt with the front seat backs are
ribbed vertically and the bottom ribs line up with them.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin