Re: Horrible, annoying vibrations.

On  3 Sep 97, Patrick Joel Morton wrote:

> After closer inspection, it became apparent that the aluminum fan
> shroud had, well, started to fall apart around where the generator
> strap bolts to it.  There is actually material missing - my fan
> shroud is self-machining itself apart and the annoying vibration is
> in fact the generator vibrating against the tinware which covers the
> oil cooler.  This really sucks.

Hmmm, so that's what it was.  It's unusual for that to break.
Perhaps the gen strap had been overtightened at some point.  These
don't really need to be very tight, but too much could easily (I
suppose) crack the fan housing.

> I guess that time and 198,500 kilometers of driving on lackluster
> roads can shake a Volkswagen to pieces.  Pretty strange though.

That only about 100K miles.  Should have lasted much longer than
that.

JIm
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org