Re: Square Fenders

jt@geekopolis.com wrote:

> What is a good price to pay for used rust/bondo free German Squareback
> fenders taken off of scraped cars?
>
> I just came across a complete set and really want to buy them but not sure
> on just how rare they are and whether he is ripping me off or not.
>
> Thanks1
>
> ---
>   \/   John T. Croteau {jt@geekopolis.com} {Minneapolis, MN}
>  \/\/  1971 VW Squareback, Orange

Tough question.

It seems to me Type III front fenders are worth a decent amount,
especially driver side fenders, since they seem to be prone to rust much
more on that seam below the antenna hole. In the east, when I was
looking for fenders I found that the driver's side was next to
impossible to locate. (To my experience.) They are, generally speaking,
definitely not getting any easier to find either.

Based on availability and condition, I would pay as much as a couple o'
hundred a piece for them according to amount of damage and rust. (As I
said, especially for the driver's side. Now guys, don't start gettin' in
line to sell me your fenders now. I think the biggest concern is how bad
do you want them? Usually I don't end up paying anywhere near this
amount. I think I remember talking to Greg and I believe (Correct me if
I'm wrong Greg) that he got a solid fender recently for under 50 bucks.
I guess this is called being in the right place at the right time. And a
hell of a deal.

Again, since the availability is getting much less, the prices for good
ones are a little higher, but there are definately cheaper buys out
there still.

Rear quarters seem to be a little easier to find, which seems to dictate
a somewhat lower price range. Say, no more than about a hundred a piece.

Again. How bad do you want 'em, and what is the availability in your
area? I'm sure there are some good deals to be had too with fellow
listees. It's also good to have some extras that are nice too, for a
rainy day.

Just my two cents.

Jon.
'71 Square
'72 Fast
'83 Rabbit
'83 Rabbit Pick-Up

--
# Netscape POP3 State File
# This is a generated file!  Do not edit.