Re: CO way to high

On  1 Sep 97, Martin Peitz wrote:

> My 69 FI Sqrbk has an astonishing 9% CO at idle I just noticed.
> Amazingly it runs fine, gets 25 mpg at 75mph. I checked everything
> except the pressure sensor, which I know is slightly out of
> tolerance

How do you know your PS is out of tolerance?  I've never known anyone
that had the equipment to check it.  If you know how to do this, I am
VERY interested!

. Can the pressure sensor get my CO so far out of wack? I
> got some spare sensors but they're all 051C while I need 051B. Next
> weekend I will go to my favorite VW junkyard with about 30 - 50 type
> III's to get the correct one.

Yes, you need the B version.

 Did they ever make a ECU with a CO
> adjusting screw like on the late type IV's?

Not for type IIIs.

If your hydrocarbons are also up, you might want to make sure all
your cylinders are actually firing regularly at idle.  An innition
tuneup might be in order.   Have you done a compression check?

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin