Re: Balanced! Sorted!

On  3 Jan 80, Toby Basiliko wrote:

>   I think perhaps I was confusing "counterweighted" with "balanced
> rotating assembly".  Balancing an engine that's been rebuilt is (in
> my 4 rebuild opinion) well worth the money- it reduces vibration,
> DOES seem to 'free up horsepower' and a balanced engine lasts
> longer, even if it's just driven (and revved a bit) on the street.
> Of course, porting, blueprinting, and other attacks of precision
> help, too...

The rotating components of any engine, with either a std or a CW
crank can be balanced.  What the CW does is to balance out some of
the weight of the big ends of the rods, as well as make the crank
itself better balanced if you (conceptually) cut it into several
pieces.  You really need to have a crank in front of you to look at
how the std crank relies on mass that is displaced axially several
inches from other masses to balance out.  The CW crank brings the
parts that balance each other out closer together and thus decreases
the tendency of the crank to flex under the forces that operate on it
when rotating at high speed.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org