Manassas oops

Hi,
After making such a whoop-dee-doo about a type-three presence, I got
yanked to burn some midnight oil.  I free lance for local film crews and
got a frantic call from the director of the most recent gig (its ALWAYS
a frantic all) .  Continuity probs. Anyway,
any more v-dub events within reasonable driving distance of washington dc
coming up? (sheepish grin)
And I so wanted to show-off my rocking new 8-track stereo! No, really.
One prob persists.  Around town the car drives great, even on the
highway, 65-70 mph no problemo. But give me even the slightest uphill
grade and it loses cojones like you wouldnt believe. I mean i can put the
pedal to the floor and it still loses speed. But flatten out the  road
and it drives normally.
To refesh: '71, stock fuel-inj, standard tranny, 9K on motor and tranny.
I did some chatting and someone suggested computer might not be
responding to load. I had computer checked out (swapped it with a known
good one) and thats not it.  Advance is advancing (checked it under
stobe) so could it be the manifold pressure sensor?
That thing under the left side of engine bay? How can I tell it it's
snoozing on the job? Can it work partially or is it a works-or-it-doesnt
gizmo? If I take it to VW are they going to throw stones at me?
Hmm, what to do...I really want to raod-trip in sept or oct but can only
go right now if seatlle is downhill from wash dc.
John 71 Fastback