Re: grills

> what these were for.  I was told that they were an option
> offered at the time of purchase from VW.
>                                 A rubber tubing would connect to the
> front of these grills
> and run back into the air flow vents that went into the cars
> interior.  Kind of an extra way of getting more air inside
> since air conditioning was not available.

Someone has probably already responded, but as a former owner of a "front
grilled" car, it definately was for air conditoining. By the time my car
got to me, the a/c had been yanked. But if you look at the lemon book, you
can see a condenser behind the left side vent in the wheel well.

Graham
'69 Square (former)