Re: Always with the questions

On 31 Aug 97, Everett wrote:

> I found an original radio bracket at the show for $5.  At least now
> I can touch the bracket and pretend for a while. ;-)

Blaupunkt or VWoA bracket?  ;-)

> I've also had 2 people tell me that an inverter can be used to go
> from 6-volt to 12-volt.  Anyone heard anything bad before I get one
> from a listee that has one (no offensive intended toward that listee

The concept is sound.  A DC-DC converter (=inverter) will do exactly
what you need if it is working correctly.  Two things that could go
wrong would be that it would not regulate well and that it might
introduce too much hum into the radio (especially AM.)  Both of these
things can be fixed.  The inverter also need to be comfortable with
the amount of load presented by the radio.  It is possible to have an
inverter that is too small as well as one that is too large, but one
that was made for a 12V car radio in a 6V car would most probably be
fine.

> On another topic, I have a 12-volt tach hooked up in my car right
> now.  It seems to be working fine (does 70 mph at approx. 3000 rpms
> sound right?) but is there any danger of damaging it?

I don't really know how these work, but you're not likely to hurt it
by running it at too low a voltage.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org