Re: filthy rich

On 30 Oct 97, Steve Bradley wrote:

> Can anybody tell me what is special about cylinders 2 and 4 in a '71
> FI SB?
>
> When I pull my plugs, the electrodes on the ones on cylinders 1 and
> 3 are brown (which is normal, I assume) and the area directly
> adjacent to the thread, facing the combustion chamber is fluffy
> black (not normal, I assume).
>
> The plugs on cylinders 2 and 4 are totally carbon fouled, fluffy
> black on every part of the plug exposed to the combustion chamber.
>
> Does the CU or some other component send more gas to cylinders 2 and
> 4 for some reason?

There should be nothing special about 2 and 4.  This is pretty
strange.  The 71s are just about the best year.

Things to try/consider:

Check your compression all around.

Check your charging system voltage.

Check the timing and the valve adjustment.

How's your gas mileage?

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org