Re: Yikes!!! those shipping costs are scary

Patty and Bob Couse-Baker wrote:

> Dear T-3 List:
>
> I did a little research and discovered why Bill and Steve’s won’t ship
> sheet metal.  I though they were just being schmucks. But there's
> different reason (or perhaps a second reason) -- if the part is too big
> to send UPS, the shipping cost quickly exceeds the value of the part.
>
> It seems the T-3 sheet metal I had for sale here in California (of which
> I placed little value) is in great demand elsewhere on the planet.
> Shipping the little stuff has been easy, the big stuff not so.
>
> Here are estimates (from the lowest bidder) for shipping and crating of
> a couple of selected Volkswagen parts:
>
> *** Late Squareback fender, shipping to Montana $80, crating $40, for a
> total of $120 (I was asking $40 for the fender).
>
> *** Late T-3 hood, shipping to Florida $190, crating $50, for a total of
> $240 (I was asking $25 for the hood)
>
> I had my own nightmare experience with Bill and Steve’s trying to get a
> Notch trunklid (notch-lid? Or just notch?). Trust me, when they say they
> WON’T ship sheet metal, they mean it. I did eventually get my decklid,
> but it took a friend of a friend of a friend, two false starts and about
> a month of finagling, but I finally got the decklid brought up to
> Sacramento from LA -- for a small and nominal fee. I think Bill and
> Steve’s finally took pity on me and helped facilitate the "shipment." Be
> that as it may, the situation is not so easy for people that live in at
> the distant ends of the earth, like Montana, Florida or France.
>
> I know there are solutions out there, I just don't know what they are.
> Inovations in Fiberglass ships front fenders UPS, but it may be that a
> fiberglass part requires a lot less packing material than a comparible
> steel part.
>
> If anyone has any ideas of how to help get these people the parts they
> need? For example, is anyone on the list thinking of going cross country
> in a T-2 any time soon. Suggestions solicited.
>
> -- Bob Couse-Baker
>    ’64 Notch (about six weeks away from painting, hopefully running by
> Spring 98)
I had two fron fenders and a decklid shipped from B & S by truck to WV
the parts came to $190 and the shipping was $160 by truck. While looking
for an alternate shipping method I found out that the whole thing could
be shipped by train for about $50. The only clincher was that you had to
have it sent to a town with a heavy freight office. My choices were
Washington DC, Pittsburg, Nashville, Etc. While none of my options were
all that good you may find a town close to you that you can pick up the
parts at the train station. You can call Amtrack to get more
information.

Dana Hall
65 Notch Sunroof
77 Beetle