Re[2]: The ongoing kudos of the Pertronix Ignition'

And as we have found out if you loose your rotor you are dead as well (not
many people I know, aside from myself, carry Lock-tight with them :).  The
argument given is quite weak.

The electronic points never, ever need replacing or adjusting once
installation is complete.  There are no moving parts to wear or pit so
operation is always consistent.  One reason why I switched to electronic
points, aside from the pain of having to keep them properly gapped and that
they floated at high rpm, was that the nylon block that rides the
distributor lobe had broke and thus the car was dead.  No amount of filing
or scraping was going to help me.  Oh, for those who haven't seen
electronic points, they don't require a condenser (capacitor) so the setup
is a little bit cleaner as well (one less part to work with).

Improved hp?  I doubt the claim as well.  But who said that a non-stock
component must increase hp/torque?  It's a reliability replacement.  I'd be
willing to bet my baby that the failure rate of the electronic units is lower
than mechanical ones.  Besides, you can still carry around spare mechanical
points (and a condenser for them), just like you would with a stock setup, just
in case the electronic ones die (and if they do I want to know as I have never
talked to someone with an electronic system that failed).

     Toby "keeping purists at bay" Erkson, air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 1.8L