Re: starting up

If it was burning a lot of oil you would see it as smoke coming out of your
exhaust pipe!  So chances are your car is leaking the oil.

Get the engine cleaned, either at a car wash or at home using a spray-on engine
cleaner (follow the directions!) or have a air cooled VW mechanic do it for you.
 Once it's fairly clean look at it all over then take it for a drive.  Park over
a clean area (like concrete) or lay some newspaper down.  Then poke around the
engine, top side and bottom, looking for oil.  Now, there is a breather tube
that comes from the oil breather (located on top of the engine) and it should
open on the bottom side of the engine; it's natural to see a little oil here,
like a drop or two, but not a lot.

It's normal to see an old VW leak oil since the cases do all sorts of expanding
and shrinking so don't be too alarmed.  But if you see quite a bit of oil, say,
a patch on the ground that's bigger than 3" you could have a bad leak.  Kinda
hard to say what's "normal", but at least you've noticed and that's good.

How many miles are on the engine?  How often must you add oil (don't include oil
changes)?  Do you see any oil on the exhaust pipes or on the back of the car
(take your finger and run it along the hatch, does it look/feel oily)?
     Toby Erkson, air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 1.8L