Who wants to help with an electrical problem?

I have a newly rebuilt engine that I have not heard run yet, and I have
traced the problem to the electrics.  First, a little about my car:
73 Square, formerly FI, now with a single carb (not my doing), and a fresh
stock rebuild (new piston and cylinders, mains and cam bearings, rebuilt
heads, cam and followers...the usual stuff).  When the thing was all
apart, I rebuilt the distributor with new rotor, condensor, and points.
Upon cranking the engine in the car, the output from the coil wire to the
distributor was very weak (the white spark it was producing would only
jump a 1/2 to 1 mm gap).  I fussed around with it for a while with a
testing light, and found current in all the proper places, and determined
that I needed a new coil.  No problem, new coil in place, but I got the
same result at the coil wire.  Using an ohmmeter, tested the new
condensor, and found a less than infinite resistance reading, so I swapped
in my old condensor, and found that the spark from the coil improved to a
1 1/2 to 2 mm gap whiteish/yellowish spark, but that was still not enough
to produce a spark at the plug.  During this little experiment, I was
using a fresh battery (from my truck) connected inline with jumper cables
to another fresh battery in a running car, so I don't think that having a
weak power source in the culprit.  I also swapped out the coil wire from
my truck to see if the wire from the coil to the distributor (new) was
bad.  Same result.
So, there's my scenario.  A couple questions:  what had to be changed out
during the FI/carb swap?  Am I using the proper coil and distributor and
distributor components?  This is driving me nuts, as I only have a few
hours a week to fiddle around with my baby, and I also feel that I am
ruining my starter cranking it on a new engine all the time.  Any help
will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bryan