Re: synthetic oil

Toby,
I disagree. It has always been a requirement of the auto-industry
that new generation oils are 100% compatible with older oils.
Also the mix of different brands or different viskosity or even
mix of syntetic and mineral oil must cause no damage to the engine.
On the oil can labels there is a quote of a VW spec wich is called
VW550.505.55 (or so, I do not know the exact combination of "5" and
"0") and a SAE spec wich is S and a letter indicating the development
level (SE is earlier than SF and so on). The S is indicating hte level on petrol engines and a C is indicating Diesel level. So it might say "fulfils SAE SF and CD" or so.
As I wrote earlier I normally check wether tha VW spec is on there
and then it is OK with me.
I agree in the aspect of non-stock engines. Especially when you run
high revs a performance oil would be no mistake.
Heiko
68 Notch, 70 Fast, 71 Fast

Toby Basiliko wrote