Re: Questions

ramesses@mindspring.com wrote:

> Ok, I have a few questions
>
> 1.  Are all the type III windshields copmatible with each other?  I need to
> replace the one in my 67 fastback but I can pull one out of a 72 or 73 from
> the junkyard.  I think It will be ok.
>
> 2.  What is the best way to put in and take out a windshield?  To take one
> out, just cut the old gasket?
>
> Thanks
> Duane
> '67 Fastback

Duane,
	Yes, all the windows are the same.  Take a close look at your doner for
fogging at the edges, and rock chips that have started spreading.
	Start cutting it out with an exact-o on the inside ot the "chrome"
trim, and a strip will peel off nicely.
	Someone out there might have archived a thread on windows from a month
and a half ago.  I remember a step by step guide. (I deleted my trash
folder after 6 months: 5,000 messages = 35 MB of text!)
	Plan on using a new seal.  Do the work on a sunny day, or soften the
rubber in hot water.  Don't soap the glass before you put the seal on
it, or the seal will pop off constantly later.  Push in the chrome trim
only with soft/warm rubber (sunny day again). Use thin parachute cord in
the seal groove and wrap it around twice, to give you a second chance.
Soap the seal and frame.  Two people needed: one inside pulling string,
one outside pushing on glass at that spot.  The very last corner will
take a lot of force to seat.  Don't push on the glass with anything
harder than your palm or it WILL break.  Good luck.

Peter Parker
'66 Square; Phillip
Portland,OR