Subject: RE: Timing (again)
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    10/11/97 10:00 AM

Hi Type-3 friends,
I am trying to summarise all the timing responses and give my own
little knowledge as well.
First of all I have never had a 009 so I cannot tell what may be
different.
I am still convinced that a distributor can only be put in either
correct or at 180ƒ wrong, and not at any position.
Is is correct that the 3rd cylinder is somewhat retarded. This is
done with a slightly different position of the #3 cam on the
distributor camshaft. It is not done through the cap.
If you have the dist in correct you would adjust to cylinder #1,
don¥t you?
If you have the dist 180ƒ wrong, the #1 cylinder is retarded instead
of #3. But you would still adjust the ignition to cylinder #1 (!!!)
This means that #1 is correct but the other 3 cylinders are running
ahead.

Stan Schaefer wrote that (he thinks) the 009 is meant for Type 1 or 2
applications. Hmm...
The base engines i.e. the block, cylinders, heads... are the same
for Beetle, Bus and Type3 (maybe except some openings and the engine
code). What makes them different is the fan position on Type 3 and/or
the carbs/FI.
If you read the catalogs of your VW tuner/engine rebuilder they
only offer Type 1 or Type 4 engines. They never offer Type 2 or 3
because the block is what makes the difference.
Still you cannot swap any distributors from Beetle, Bus, or Type 3
because they are coordinated with the repective carb/FI, valve timing
displacement....
I may be somewhat conservative in that way but I prefer using the
stock distributor that VW had developed for the respective engine.
Heiko
68 Notch, 70 Fast, 71 Fast