Timing

Question:

Can a distributor be installed and run a 180 degrees out.  I started to
tune up the engine in my 69 square last night.  I have a new motor
planned but thought now's a good time to start learning how things go
together.  I went to adjust the valves; put the motor at TDC and low and
behold the #1 valves were not closed.

The notch on the dist faces the fan and not the front of the engine as
in Bentley and Muir manuels.  How can you tell the engine is a TDC on #1
cylnder.

The engine runs, but very hot!

Ron...