winterizing

Hey - this may be a bit premature for winter in VA, but this'll be the
first one with my '72 squareback. Anything i ought to be considering as
the cold weather comes this way? Someone said I ought to step down to a
lower octane gas as the fuel doesn't vaporize in cold weather, etc and
higher octane gas has a higher combustion temp, or something like that
anyway, but the engine really pings with anything less than 90 octane.
But that's just the gas....what else?

Dave