Re: Automatic transmission question

Hello there

Michael Young wrote:

...snip.....

>but the change from 2nd to 3rd gear didn't happen until about 50
>mph. Similarly, when decelerating, it would kick into 2nd gear at
>the same speed.

Sounds to me as if the kickdown system might be faulty. The system
workes as follows:

A wire runs from terminal 15 on the ignition coil through an in-line
fuse to the kickdown switch located on the three arm lever if you
have twin carburetors or on the air distribution box if you have fuel
injection. It operates only when the accelerator pedal is depressed
beyond the full throttle position. The position of the switch can be
adjusted to ensure this. The wire then runs down to the transmission
and connects to a terminal on the left hand side of the transmission
case, above the oil sump. Inside the transmission this terminal
connects to the kickdown solenoid which activates the hydraulic
kickdown valve.

My guess is:

1.) The kickdown switch is either faulty or incorrectly adujsted
which causes the kickdown solenoid to remain energized permanently.

2.) The kickdown solenoid is seized in the energized position.

3.) The hydraulic kickdown valve is seized in the open position.

None of the above is diffucult to fix. To check whether the
problem lies with the electrical or the hydraulic parts, disconnect
the kickdown switch at the coil and road test the vehicle. If the
problems disappear, the switch is the cause. If not, either the
solenoid or the hydraulic valve is the cause.

I have the official VW workshop manual for this transmission so I can
give you all the info you'll need to repair this problem, just shout
if you need something. Its realy simple to get to the kickdown
solenoid and stuff - if you know which is the business-end of a
spanner you can do it!

>If I end up having to replace the trannie, can a standard be
> installed in its place?

No this cannot be done. The automatic chassis is different to a
manual chassis. Rather fix your automatic transmission, besides it
more relaxing to drive an automatic.

Take care

Regards

Adriaan Loedolff
adriaan@norton.ctech.ac.za
'69 Variant Automatic (200 000 miles + and still cruisin' after all of these years!)