Re: Automatic transmission question

At 04:19 PM 10/7/97 -0700, Michael Young wrote:

(* snip *)

>when accelerating, the change from 1st to 2nd gear was fine, but the
>change from 2nd to 3rd gear didn't happen until about 50 mph.
> Similarly, when decelerating, it would kick into 2nd gear at the same
>speed.  Needless to say, it didn't make for a smooth ride on highways where
>the speed limit was around 50 mph!

I've only worked on two autostick VW's and they both were Type-I's.  Both
had similar problems as you described.  So hopefully what I did to fix the
other Bug's will help in some way.

First, check for any vacuum leaks in the line to the clutch servo.

Now check the control valve.  To check the adjustment, try to get the car
up to around 45 MPH.  Now take your foot off the gas pedal and shift from
drive 2 to drive 1.  The clutch should engage fully within a second after
releasing the gearshift lever.  If the clutch engages too quickly, turn the
adjusting screw (found on top the control valve) 1/4 to 1/2 turn clockwise.
 If it engages too slowly, turn said screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn counter clockwise.

Now, I don't know if the Type-III's have said valve but on the Type I's, it
located near the servo unit.

 I hope this helpped.

Robert K. Kuhn (kealoha@isisph.com)
Isis Pharmaceuticals -- Systems Admin/WebSlave

2292 Faraday Avenue Carlsbad, CA. 92008
[+1 760] 931.9200 x 2495, [+1 760] 931.9639 (FAX)

http://www.isip.com/users/kealoha

I was walking through the woods.  I saw a rabbit standing in front of a
candle making shadows of people on a tree.