Automatic transmission question

For the last 7 years I've owned a '69 squareback automatic, which for years
was my very reliable daily car.  A couple of years back the transmission
started acting up: when accelerating, the change from 1st to 2nd gear was
fine, but the change from 2nd to 3rd gear didn't happen until about 50 mph.
 Similarly, when decelerating, it would kick into 2nd gear at the same
speed.  Needless to say, it didn't make for a smooth ride on highways where
the speed limit was around 50 mph!  For this and other reasons I stopped
driving it about two years ago.  Now I want to get this great car back on
the road, so I'm looking for some advice on what to do...  Does this
problem sound familiar to anyone out there in T3 land?  If so, can it be
fixed?  If I end up having to replace the trannie, can a standard be
installed in its place?

--
Michael Young  (myoung@penetics.com)  '69 Type 3 squareback