Subject: Stock vs. custom
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    10/7/97 8:43 AM
My '71 Type II ("Hitler's Revenge") has a 2110 cc engine that FORMERLY
had an external oil filter and two remote thermostatically controlled coolers.
Slicker'n goose grease...except the system was an absolute nightmare for leaks.

This past weekend I dropped the engine and replaced the whole sheebang with
the original upright stock oil cooler.  Yeah, yeah, I know, I know.  I will
have to monitor oil temperature pretty closely.  To this end I have ordered
a Gene Berg oil temperature dipstick...and I will run my cylinder head temp
gauge also.

Lemme tell you volks what my experience is with "custom" installations.  My
dual Dellortos are a king-size headache when routine maintenance is called for
or when the engine needs to come out/go in.  Can't come close to reaching the
spark plugs behind them.  The Dellortos are great when adjusted perfectly, but
awfully touchy in the hands of an incompetent like me.  The oil system,
as I mentioned, has been totally immune from stopping the leaks.

What it all comes down to is this little moral.... all this custom
stuff is GREAT if you are a natural born mechanic who understands how everything
works and knows how to do it right.  However, some of us are motor morons...or,
in my case even worse, a librarian!  I have come the full circle... now I have
great appreciation for the stock simplicity, managability, and reliability of
the original VW designs for someone like me who will never be a competent
mechanic no matter how many times I take things apart and put 'em together.

For those of you who are mechanically inclined and talented, let me
just say...I hate you!  No, no, sorry, I meant "envy" you.

If there are other novices in the same situation, may I suggest that
you "keep it simple" or find a really good mechanic buddy  who (for a case of
beer, of course) will straighten out whatever you did.

Your thoughts on this attitude?

Best...

Phil
dillard@suu.edu