Re: My Squareback broke! ;-(

Everett, when we fixed Jim's car, we had to remove all of the bolts
holding the trans in place.  Due to his frame design, this was possible
without having to remove the engine to get at the bolts inside the
bellhousing that you refer to.  On the type III, you may only be able to
do it by removing the engine and pulling the transaxle BACK, so that the
nosecone (the only part that needs to move this way) can be moved
FORWARD so you can see the hockey stick.  If you can, you may be able to
remove the engine and trans as a unit and move them back a bit to allow
you to pull the nosecone off.  I'm not sure if the swingaxle cars have a
rear engine mount bar or not, that would be the main problem with that
idea.  I will try and get in touch with Jim and see if he can offer
better details on what exactly to do once the nosecone is free.  Don't
forget to disconnect the shift coupler before you start moving things
around too much.

Jake Kooser
'71 Squareback (the little girl)
'66 type 1 roadster (the project)