Was I halucinating?

-I was at the 6th annual Show&Go at Raceway park in NJ.  I have a question
for those VW Draggers out there,  is seeing 8s, 9s and one 10 somethings
for time in the 1/8 mile unusual, or did I miss something.  (Most other
cars were running 9-14!, the OCASIONAL 8 something)  The air cooled beetles
there seemed to be faster than everything execpt the funny cars (7s)!!  Did
I miss something or do VW kick even more a** than we thought?
        -LMH
        67' FB (Now with the correct turn signals :) )