Re: CB fuel injection

At 02:40 PM 10/4/97 -0400, you wrote:

>I have been hearing good things about the CB Performance eletronic FI system.
>Has anyone on the list had any expierience with it, or know of someone who
>has?

This question was asked on the Vintage VW List last year and was recently
revisited.

When CB first came out with their FI kit about 3 years ago, could've even
been 4, I was very crude.  Most people were interested in their bolt-on
turbo kits.  I was interested because I was looking to replace the dual
Weber's on the 914 and possibly get it back to being smog legal without
having to jump through hoops to get it registered.  When I looked around
for smog legal FI kits, I found a couple that started at around $2500 (US).

That's when I started to look at th CB kit more closely and asked why Gene
Berg (who was still alive at the time) stopped it's efforts on their FI kit.

I also found that CB's kit would work on my 914, but it wouldn't be "smog
legal" because they still hadn't gotten their CARB.  The only way was to
purhase a complete turn-key engine from CB.  And they didn't have any
Type-IV (914) turn-key's.  But ... they said they were still working on it.

Time passed and a few other 914 friend's were wondering if I had heard
anything about the CB kit.  I had not so I gave them a call and I was
invited test drive their Bug that had said kit.  They had made some great
improvements over the first generation kit.  But still wasn't smog legal in
kit form.

So, last summer I decided to take them up on the offer and spent an
afternoon at CB.  Drove their Bug with the FI kit and boy was it ever
smooth!  Kicked over with little effort.  Purred like a kitten and had
lot's of pep and power.  Climbled hills effortlessly.  And I had good
power.  I was really impressed.

I haven't conacted them since and it's been over a year now.

So ... if you don't have any smog requirements, then think about getting
this kit.  It's still a bit on the pricey side, but still far cheaper than
anything else that I've been able to find.  The kit is very easy to
install.  In a nut shell, it's like installing a new manifold and carb.
Parts are from GM so getting replacement parts (ie: injectors) is pretty
easy (assuming you have a GM dealer).

I was thinking about getting CB's kit for my 1776 (which is in my '61 Bug).
 Getting rid of the Kad's (not that there's anything wrong with my Kad's).
The 914 will probably not be driven as much except for autocross.

Your best bet is to call CB or visit their web site:

	http://www.cbperformance.com/

And send them an email.  I find calling them is the best way to get my
questions answered.

Robert K. Kuhn (kealoha@isisph.com)
Isis Pharmaceuticals -- Systems Admin/WebSlave

http://www.isip.com/users/kealoha

" They make 10,000 cars ... They make them exactly the
  same way and one or two of them turn out to be
  something special.  Nobody know's why ..."

                         -- Jim Douglas "The Love Bug"