RE: different distributor questions

On 29 Nov 97, Curt Dilday wrote:

> Interesting thread on distributors.  My question:  Is anybody using
> a vac dist with dual 34ict Webers on an automatic?  I'd like to use
> a vac, but I'm not sure how to hook my original or other vac
> distributor up.  Specifically, do you use both vacuum circuits to
> the distributor, or just one?  What about the vacuum modulator on
> the tranny?  I'm currently using both circuits to activate the
> tranny module, and an 009.

Only 72 T3s came with vac adv/ret. (which is what you are referring
to when you mention "both vacuum circuits."  In general the vacuum
response of the dist must be matched to the intake impedance of
the carb/manifold.  Only the OEMs have the resources to do that, and
to demand that Bosch make an appropriate vacuum cannister.  If you
have changed to a non-stock carb you are pretty much stuck with mech
adv only.

AT vac modulator is intended to pick off a different point; it uses
manifold vacuum rather than venturi vacuum which the dist uses.
VW made a different vac modulator for the OE cars with AT/dual carbs.
If you just mix these randomly, your results will not be predictable.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin