Re: Fuel Tanks

On 26 Nov 97, John Jaranson wrote:

> The recent discussion of fuel tanks has reminded me of a question that I have.
>  Will an early tank with the filler in the trunk fit in my 71 Fastback?  I
> would like to eliminate the fuel filler door in the fender.  It sounds like I
> would have a problem with my fuel injection.  Would I need to modify the tank
> for the return line or was there a FI early style tank?  Just curious.  Thanks.

There are two things different about the bottom of the FI tank.
First it has an inlet for the fuel return, and second, it uses that
return flow to "venturi" a little extra gas into a central "cup" that
is mounted to the bottom center of the tank.  This keeps the FI
running on the last little bit of gas in the tank.  I don't think the
old tank has this cup.

The vented gas cap would be necessary since there would be no other
way to admit air as gas was consumed, but I thought I had heard that
this led to complaints of luggage that smelled like gasoline.  There
are always compromises.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org