Re: Re[3]: Let's talk A/C ! -- Electric powered.

On 26 Nov 97, Toby Erkson wrote:

> Hmm, not a bad idea, sounds sane to me...  Can anyone shed some brighter light
> on this subject?  Specifically, the current draw required for a 12v motor and
> suppliers of such compressors (and related A/C parts?).  Any other "things you
> should know"?

The engineering is easy, and quickly sobering.  If we assume the same
load as a small window unit, that would be, maybe 7 amps at 120 VAC.
That's 840 watts.  Converted to 14.4 V gives a steady current draw of
about 58 Amps, plus a few for conversion losses. 65 A is probably a
possibility, 85 is a certainty.  Most of the uncertainty comes in the
original 7 A assumption, but I believe that is already low if
anything..

Then perhaps you would like a bit left over for the rest of the car?
;-)

At least this comes out about an order of magnitude more likely than
the electric heater idea that keeps coming up.

JIm
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin