Fuel Tanks

The recent discussion of fuel tanks has reminded me of a question that I have.
 Will an early tank with the filler in the trunk fit in my 71 Fastback?  I
would like to eliminate the fuel filler door in the fender.  It sounds like I
would have a problem with my fuel injection.  Would I need to modify the tank
for the return line or was there a FI early style tank?  Just curious.  Thanks.