Re: Windshield installation

On 26 Nov 97, Steve Bradley wrote:

> My '71 has the headliner wrapped around the metal lip in the window
> channel. Did yours? If so, did you leave it this way and did the window
> leak after you put in the new seal?

ALL the windows, except the side door windows, are done that way.
They are wrapped and glued  around the lip, and then trimmed with a
razor knife.  You can see the slashes in the factory paint!  Leaks
should not be a problem, the seal actually occurs outside of the lip
in the area radially outward from the edge of the glass.  Note that
the seals, especially of the windshield, were not always perfect even
when our cars were new.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org