Steering coupler

The last few weeks the steering has been a little loose on our '71 Squareback.
Thursday I jacked it up and looked at the steering coupler - it was broken into
3 pieces!!  Needless to say, it remained on the jack stand and I called around
for the part.  It took until yesterday for the part to come in (I also ordered
2, so I can do this repair quicker in the future) and I finally got around to
changing it last night around 10pm, in the driveway.  By the time I got done
there was frost on the windows, but the 600w light I was using kept my hands
warm....

The 2 couplers I bought were different hardnesses.  I tried to install the
stiffer of the two, but it was very difficult to bend into place.  I ended up
using the softer of the two.  I'm assuming the stiffer one would last longer,
but I'm not sure.

The one that broke apart was 3-4 years old - how long do these usually last?

Thanks
Dave