Re: Rust repair

Richard Mason wrote:

> Has anyone out there paid to have the rust that forms around the front
> inside of the rear fender/body connection.  I have 1 1/2 long gashes on
> either side and I want to pay to have them cut out and replaced or patched
> just for daily driving.  How much should this cost approximately with no
> paint and if I remove the fenders and reinstall?  Can I sand/grind it down
> and use sheet metal and rivets?  How does this rust anyway?  Is it from
> water from above between the fender beading or does it come from no
> undercoating letting water and salt get in from the underside?  Thanks,
> Rich.  69 Squareback

An less expensive option would be to grind the rusted area to bare metal,
prime the bare metal with a good primer, then use fiberglass bondo to attach
fiberglass mesh screen spanning the area of missing metal.

After this has dried, fill-in the mesh screen area with fiberglass bondo, sand
with 60 grit sandpaper and cover with a coat of lightweight premium filler and
feather-edge with 120 grit sandpaper.

Steve B.